Search Treatwell for Hair Loss Treatments near you
Jump to our top locations
There was a time when if you were balding the only options open to you were wigs, toupees or an evil smelling brew from the local witchdoctor. These days, modern medicine is bristling with options for replenishing your thinning crop, ranging from pills and creams to injections. Good hair days start again here…
What you can expect?
The sheer number of hair loss products can be mind-boggling; there are hundreds of different treatments on the market, all claiming to be the secret to a luxurious, lion-like mane. Here’s a breakdown of the power trio:
- Finasteride (also known as Propecia) is a once-a-day tablet that blocks the production of DHT, a male hormone that shrinks the hair follicles.
- Minoxidil (you may have heard of it as Rogaine and Regaine) comes as an over-the-counter lotion or foam that you simply rub into your scalp every day.
- Steroids might make you think of super-sized bodybuilders, but they can also beef up your barnet. You can either choose from injections or a cream (we know which sounds more appealing, but we should let you know the latter isn’t as effective or speedy).
Know before you go
- Stick to treatments that have the approval of a body like the NHS or the FDA for finding a reputable, tried-and-tested treatment.
- You can expect to see noticeable results in the first 3-6 months. It all depends on the treatment you try out though, so don’t fret if it’s longer before you start to see progress.
The sciencey stuff
So, let’s get to the root of the problem: hair tends to thin with age. In women, it’s often linked to hormonal changes like the menopause, where falling levels of oestrogen and progesterone give the lead to testosterone, resulting in locks to become less than luscious. Thyroid imbalances, low iron levels, weight loss, poor diet and stress are also culprits that cause hair to fall – here, a healthy diet and healing treatments like an Indian head massage can give you a headstart before you resort to more serious solutions.